What is the Recovery After Mobi-C® Cervical Disc Replacement?
Dr. Braxton will provide the patient with clear expectations, postoperative instructions, and a clear sense of the length of the recovery period. Recovery will take time and depends on overall health, age, and severity of the condition. Patient compliance following Dr. Braxton’s orders is important. These may include:
- One full night with hospital care
- Basic movement the first night including sitting, standing and walking
- Use of a neck collar the first week
- Pain and nausea medication as needed
- Follow up office visit which may include an x-ray of the device
- Timed incision dressing changes at home
- Timed return to normal neck movement at Dr. Braxton’s orders
- Following the prescribed physical therapy plan
At the front of the neck the short incision is usually difficult to see and usually heals readily with proper wound care. Bathing is preferred immediately following the procedure and Dr. Braxton will allow showering as soon as possible. Patients may resume driving once cleared and this time frame will vary by patient. He will evaluate readiness as quickly as possible.